Stroke is a dangerous disease that is caused by the rupturing of any vessel in the brain. It may also occur because of the blocking of a blood clot somewhere in the brain.
The medicine taken for the recovery of stroke helps the patient by either opening the blockage or a blood clot, or by the treatment of the rupture. Because of the medical advancements in the field during the last ten years, the survival rate from stroke gets high as compared to the last decade. But, the chances of survival get even improved if the treatment and recovery process starts immediately after the disease.
Prevention of Stroke
The fact that about 80% of all strokes can be prevented is good news in itself; it can be prevented starting from managing the key factors like:
- High blood pressure.
- Physical inactivity.
- Atrial fibrillation.
- Cigarette smoking.
It should be kept in mind that most strokes are caused due to the high blood pressure or uncontrolled hypertension and that makes it the most important risk factor that needs to be taken care off and controlled in time.
Stroke Signs and Symptoms
There are many signs that indicate if you are suffering from a stroke. But, to remember there are some key factors that show the presence of the disease:
- Ask the patient to raise his both arms upward and check if one arm is weak or numb? Or does it drifts downward? If yes, there’s a bad news.
- Ask the person to repeat any simple sentence, if he finds it hard to speak or the speech is slurred that patient is may be in some trouble.
- Ask the person to smile, if you feel any irregularity in it or if the face seems to be weak or numb the patient is having a stroke, most probably.
- If the person feels any sudden trouble in seeing in one or both the eyes, there is a problem.
- If the person feels weakness, lack of consideration and trouble walking, he needs to visit a doctor.
If these signs are observed in the patient, you need to call 911 immediately.
Right after the occurring of stroke, proper in time treatment can save a life. Two types of strokes are observed, hemorrhagic or ischemic.
- To treat Ischemic stroke, there is only one FDA approved treatment TPA, the gold standard. It works by dissolving the clot and hence starts back the blood flow breaking the blockage. Endovascular Procedures is another technique to treat Ischemic stroke.
- Surgical treatment is an important technique to diagnose Hemorrhagic stroke. It works by stopping the bleeding that occurs due to any rupturing of the blood vessels in the brain.
The techniques mentioned above are very important and it is to be noted that they only apply after the very short time of the disease occurring. So, it is very important to know about the symptoms of stroke, when the patient feels any abnormal behavior in his body.